Child Choking on Pizza Saved by Babysitter’s Heimlich Maneuver
In New Jersey, 15-year-old Anna Reid was able to save 3 year old Lia Simitz from choking.
Reid, recognizing signs of choking and distress, performed the Heimlich maneuver on the child.
The result, the pizza that was lodge in her throat popped out preventing disastrous consequences. Reid credits her quick actions to CPR training she received from the American Red Cross.
A lazy summer day took a dramatic turn when a New Jersey toddler nearly choked to death. The child’s babysitter turned to skills she learned years ago to save her life.
Anna Reid, 15, was feeding 3-year-old Lia Simitz pizza when the toddler took a bite too big and a piece was lodged in her throat.
“She was sitting there with a shocked expression on her face and like her face turned bright red and she was not even coughing or anything. She couldn’t breathe at all,” Reid told CBS 2’s Weijia Jiang on Tuesday.
Precious seconds later, Reid said she got behind the child and hit her in the back five times between the shoulder blades and did the Heimlich Maneuver.
“In under a minute it went from a life or death situation to now she’s fine,” Reid said. “After two of three times, it just popped out.”
Read the full article here: